The University Senate Nominating Committee invites nominations and self-nominations for the position of Chair of the General Education Oversight Committee (GEOC). Nominations and self-nominations in the form of an email of interest should be forwarded to Cheryl Galli in the University Senate Office, firstname.lastname@example.org by December 15, 2015.
The chair of the GEOC is responsible for the management of the General Education course proposal review process and the continued oversight of the curriculum. Because of the unusually demanding nature of this position, the chair is given 50% release time and provided with administrative support. The chair reports to both the University Senate and the Vice Provost of Undergraduate Education, serves one three-year term and shall not be re-appointed. Because the GEOC is a subcommittee of a Senate committee, the chair need not be a Senator.
The purpose of General Education is to ensure that all University of Connecticut undergraduate students become articulate and acquire intellectual breadth and versatility, critical judgment, moral sensitivity, awareness of their era and society, consciousness of the diversity of human culture and experience, and a working understanding of the processes by which they can continue to acquire and use knowledge
General Education Requirements are overseen by GEOC, a faculty group appointed by the Senate and representative of the Schools and Colleges. The GEOC monitors the General Education curriculum and works in association with the Office of Undergraduate Education and Instruction. Financial support for the activity of the GEOC comes from the Office of the Provost.
The GEOC is charged with:
- setting the criteria for approving all course proposals for the Content and Competency Areas;
- setting the criteria for entrance and exit requirements for the Competency Areas;
- developing policy regarding the delivery of the University-wide General Education program;
- reviewing and approving courses proposed for inclusion in the General Education Requirements;
- determining the resources necessary to deliver the General Education Curriculum;
- monitoring periodically courses that satisfy General Education Requirements to ensure that they continue to meet the criteria adopted by the Senate; and
- reviewing the University-wide General Education program to ensure that its goals are being met and recommending changes to the Senate Curricula and Courses Committee when appropriate.
More information on the GEOC can be found at http://geoc.uconn.edu/